WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Flash Fiction

Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM
LaFong (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11
Default Flash Fiction

Does anyone else think the term 'Flash Fiction' is off the mark? When I first heard it, especially the word Flash, it seemed to imply something that was whipped off "in a flash" without much thought. I like so-called flash fiction and have written some myself. I think it's actually the exact opposite of something you just whip out in a flash. If anything, since it's so short, you have to make every sentence and word count.

Thoughts?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

To be honest it doesn't take me that long to write a piece under 1000 words even less for one under 100.

Whereas my novel has taken me months.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:08 PM
LaFong (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

I suspect that's simply because of volume of words. How would it be if you compared your 500 word FF against a 500 word section taken from your novel as far as how much attention you paid to every little detail? I have a feeling (and I'm referring to myself too, not trying to do a put down or anything) that more attention is paid to the FF 500 than the novel 500, almost out of sheer necessity. Unless you're like Ayn Rand and are willing to spend 13 years on a single work (Atlas Shrugged)

And come to think of it, I have a feeling there are famous poets who spent just as much time on a short couple paragraph poem as some novels by a novelist.

Last edited by LaFong; 03-28-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I am no Ayn Rand.

However I may spend one or two days on a chapter. Maybe more. It nets me a completed novel every 3-4 months well it would if I was more organised. I rewrite a novel a few times.

Once I have a topic a 75 word piece may take 15 minutes to write and edit. 300 maybe half an hour. A 1000 word piece just over an hour. A flash piece doesn't have the plot hole potential of a novel.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 PM
SuperGurl (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 33

I recently posted a Flash Fiction, so I thought I should comment! When I hear "Flash Fiction", I think the story is a "flash" of something--a brief moment that excites a feeling, like seeing something pass by while on a train. I like the term because it has a feeling of immediacy. But I agree, you do have to put more thought into each word (or at least I do). Still, it is much quicker to write than a novel.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 120
Icon3 Flash Fiction

You learn something new everyday.

I am new to the genre of Flash Fiction.
But it sounds like a short short story, if it's done in 1000 words.

Almost like an Iceberg?

I wouldn't mind reading samples. Do send if available.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Mine are dotted about the site.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Cloverish (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 82

Flash fiction... I think of Flash the superhero (my Favorite) and how he's super fast, so... yeah, but really I don't take too long. One I had a full... okay, a beginning to a flash fiction that stood way too long in word count, so I had to cut like all of it, and I did, quickly. It doesn't take me too long. It's after the fact, so after reviews, that I see some problems and info that isn't clear in the piece, so the reader isn't making the connection.

The edits take time
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Cloverish (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 82

Originally Posted by Escriber* View Post
You learn something new everyday.

I am new to the genre of Flash Fiction.

Almost like an Iceberg?

I wouldn't mind reading samples. Do send if available.
This is my little itty bit example, around 200 words (Some can be more, less, depending on who you talk to)

"No love?" I know I had a few bucks somewhere... "Cancha give me a break this one time? Ya'know I would for ya. Com'on, bud!"

"Dude, I can't. I need the rent now. You have to leave." He maneuvered himself into the door frame

"I'll get it, I swear!" I have to resort to begging now?

My roomie glanced around the hallway. "Man, I've let you slide too many times."

"Com'on! I know I've letcha down before. Damn, don't remind me, but I'll get the rent. I swear. You gotta believe me. Please, man?"

“No.” He slammed the door in my face. Did he think he could kick me out? Yeah, okay... he did have that right, but not like this.

I took in a deep breath. I really liked him as a friend. Oh, well. I didn't need any. I gently placed my open palm on the door. The door pulsed, and a shrill scream sounded down below. I'll have to get a new place.

“Calm down, ma'am, and tell us what happened,” The officer said, his eyes darting across the scene.

She took a gulp of air. “That apartment,” pointing towards the hole in the building, “just dropped.”
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Sugar and Devotion (116)

The deliciously slim Darla queued in the work canteen. A healthy salad and bottle of water sat on her tray. A doughnut with custard and sprinkles whispered, “Darla.”

Unladylike drool appeared at the corners of Darla’s mouth. The delicious treat continued to call her name in a hypnotic fashion.
Down in the bowels of Darla, Linzi the Lipid picked up her pom-poms. She brandished them and shook her booty. “Give me an O. Give me a P…” Swirling, twirling and whirling, Linzi collected the elements she would need.

That beautiful sugary treat won the war and Darla placed it on her tray. Linzi smiled and settled down on Darla’s hips for a lifetime of devoted attraction.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by LaFong View Post
Does anyone else think the term 'Flash Fiction' is off the mark?
No.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Escriber* View Post
That's all it is - a short short.

Here's one I wrote a while back but never did anything with - about 200 words:

Billy had an electric guitar he couldn’t play yet but it didn’t matter ‘cause, when he walked down the street with it slung on his back on the crazy Indian-beaded strap his brother Ted gave him, the girls who hung out on the corner by the burger joint didn’t ignore him anymore but gathered round him and said in their whiney, wish I was a Valley Girl voices, “Hey Billy, I didn’t know you could play” and “You in a band, Billy?” and Billy stopped and grinned at them and said – ultra-consciously cool as fuck -- “I’m putting a band together.”

Billy really, badly, wanted to stay and talk bands and be surrounded by bare-midriffed honeys, close enough for once to smell that clean hair cheap perfume combo that he found so damned sexy, close enough to see the downy fuzz on tanned, pierced bellies, drinking in that bare leg bare arm bare face cheeky collage of flesh and fabric and mall-bought accessories, but his insides were turning to hormone soup and discretion was, as always… “Gotta go, ladies,” was it cool to call them ladies, or did he sound like a sleaze, “I got rehearsals, and auditions, and, and, stuff…” and he backed away grinning like a god-damned idiot because the guitar just made him cool.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Kashmirgirl1976 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Pretty good!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Jynx76 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 44

Originally Posted by SuperGurl View Post
I recently posted a Flash Fiction, so I thought I should comment! When I hear "Flash Fiction", I think the story is a "flash" of something--a brief moment that excites a feeling, like seeing something pass by while on a train. I like the term because it has a feeling of immediacy.
This definition strikes me as appropriate. Whether it takes you no time at all to whip one together, or you spend hours agonizing over every tiny detail doesn't matter...it's a tiny glimpse.

And speaking of glimpses, the Billy bit was a great character sketch, Mike C.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Thanks, Jynx.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
allswl (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

It possibly refers to quickly written pieces of work. I have also heard that it could also refer to how fast it can be read.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice