WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Two Celebrities From My Home Town

Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Two Celebrities From My Home Town

Before me, the two most famous people from my small home town in Michigan were an executed criminal and a comedian.

In the 1950s Caryl Chessman was a cause celeb for opponents of the death penalty. He was sentenced to death under the so-called Lindberg Law which allowed capital punishment for kidnapping that involved physical harm to the victim.

After his family moved from Michigan to Los Angeles, Chessman's mother was paralyzed in a car crash and his father attempted suicide because he couldn't financially support his wife and son.

Chessman became a juvenile deliquent, stealing cars and cashing bad checks before he was sent first to reform school and then to San Quentin Prison. At the time San Quentin was considered a "school for crime" where young offenders were exposed to hardened adult criminals.

Upon his release from prison, Chessman went on a crime spree. He was known as the "Red Light Bandit" for what is now called home invasion robberies. In more than one case Chessman kidnapped the woman of the house and raped her elsewhere.

While appealing his death sentence, Chessman taught himself law and wrote a best-selling autobiography. He contended that he deserved a life sentence, but not the death penalty since he had never committed murder. He lost the legal appeals and he was executed by gas chamber in 1960.

The second famous man from my home town was Arte Johnson. In the late 1960s he was a regular on the TV comedy show Laugh In. Among other roles, he played a Nazi soldier who popped up in a scene to say in a thick German accent: "Veddy eenterestink."

Johnson was won an award for his performance as Dracula's man-servant Renfield in the 1979 spoof film Love At First Bite, starring George Hamilton and Susan Saint James.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Starr, Veddy interestink - but schtupid. (falls over on tricycle) I used to love Rowan and Martin's Laugh In.

But to the point, your home town: Caryl Chessman, Arte Johnson, you. Would you say this was an upward trend, or a downward one? (runs off like the craven tergiversator she is - look that up in your Funk & Wagnell's).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:43 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post
Starr, Veddy interestink - but schtupid. (falls over on tricycle) I used to love Rowan and Martin's Laugh In.
I'm glad to hear that someone remembers that program. Goldy Hawn got her start on it.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Lily Thomson also, and Henry Gibson. It was quite a good programme really. Do you remember The Fickle Finger of Fate awards?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post
Lily Thomson also, and Henry Gibson. It was quite a good programme really. Do you remember The Fickle Finger of Fate awards?
Yes, I remember everything about Laugh In, including "Here come da judge" and Richard Nixon saying "Sock it to ME?"
Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Oh, gosh, yes. There were quite a few catch-phrases from that programme. You're bringing back a lot of smiles here, Starr. Thanks!

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction