WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Naming a Kingdom, ugh!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM
FallenShandeh (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5
Default Naming a Kingdom, ugh!

I'm partly venting and partly asking for advice.

So some of you may know already from my post in "Write Here" that my kingdom consists of five Duchies, one being named Sears. It's gotten to the point in my story where I have to name the kingdom and I'm drawing an absolute blank.

This is an established world (as in it has existed in my head for about three years) and I had originally named the kingdom "Aelfen" but I'm not too keen on that name anymore. I may use it for the Elvish nation to the south, though that feels kind of cliche so I'm not certain.

The Duchies are Sears, Tarrant, Holmeswood, Skaal and Ebonloch. Each Duchy name comes from its old language, before Holmeswood conquered the other four and united them under a single monarchy. Sort of like the UK (with England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland), but with far fewer Dukes because it's only covering an area about the size of Scotland. I've got a big political system all figured out which I will go into detail on if needed.

The old languages are still in occasional use, and share similarities with one another, so you could almost call them regional dialects. But they're different enough to one another that a single common language is required for trade and formal events, and over the past few generations, use of the old languages has faded massively. Obviously I'm using English to represent the common tongue.

Not sure if any of the above is even relevant.

Anyway, to the point. I absolutely HATE naming places. I'm okay with people and have come up with some really great names for my characters (I have one sitting in the sidelines waiting to be brought into the light who goes by the name "Malevolence Bane" - this is not his real name, just how he's known) but places are definitely not my strong suit. Perhaps that's because, due to my bulk experience in fanfiction and markedly less experience with original fiction, I haven't had to do a huge amount of worldbuilding. A lot of my place names are actually "borrowed" from other works, or from real life ("Tarrant" is the last name of an Australian football player, but I always thought it sounds better as a place name) and I have a habit of getting annoyed with them and wanting to change them.

Does anyone have a secret to naming places? I don't want you to name my kingdom for me, gods no, but I need tips to help me out!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:10 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

The Duchies are Sears, Tarrant, Holmeswood, Skaal and Ebonloch.

ok very brief, your names sears, i don't follow.

but... Tarrant could be compared to torrent as in a fast moving river. the Tarrant river, it would be a small joke or riddle

Holmeswood, could be simply homewoods, where they live home woods

skaal is a character from Elder Scrolls III, blood moon, so this duchy must be named for a great hero.

and Ebonloch, maybe for loch Ebon.

given the trend as I have stated,

how about greenwater, green aqua, verde aqua. (i like that one - verde'aque) or rocky shoals or white cliffs or just about any naturally occurring formation.

hope that helps. still don't know what sears would have to do with anything unless it was some dictator that named his duchy after himself.

Max
Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 AM
FallenShandeh (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

Originally Posted by max crash View Post

ok very brief, your names sears, i don't follow.

but... Tarrant could be compared to torrent as in a fast moving river. the Tarrant river, it would be a small joke or riddle

Holmeswood, could be simply homewoods, where they live home woods

skaal is a character from Elder Scrolls III, blood moon, so this duchy must be named for a great hero.

and Ebonloch, maybe for loch Ebon.

given the trend as I have stated,

how about greenwater, green aqua, verde aqua. (i like that one - verde'aque) or rocky shoals or white cliffs or just about any naturally occurring formation.

hope that helps. still don't know what sears would have to do with anything unless it was some dictator that named his duchy after himself.

Max
Sears refers to an event from the days of legend, which I will go into in more detail in the course of the story. But it can be changed, particularly since I have been informed that Sears is a distinctly American place name. Skaal will be changed because it's Scandinavian and most of the rest feels English or at least British (Ebonloch - Scottish).

I want British place names mainly because of the voice of the character. He sounds British to me - though the story itself is not set in Britain but in a wholly fictional universe. He's a local, born and bred (and is the Lord of a reasonable-sized holding in Sears, though his childhood was spent in Holmeswood), so the location needs to fit with him.

A night's sleep has yielded me no answers as to what to name this kingdom or the two Duchies which need renaming. It'll be research time soon.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:25 AM
FallenShandeh (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

Sears and Skaal have both been renamed.

Sears has become Wight (capital is Wightmouth) and Skaal has become Wyrmrich (capital is Llanwyn). There are in-story lore reasons for both names.

Kingdom still needs a name.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

So we want places named in English but not a cliche. Hmm.

I'll give you a bunch, based on Brythonic, Scottish, Pictish, Norse, Saxon and Cornish, in the hope that you can use some for towns, counties, castles or other places even if none seem right for a kingdom.

Cador Inver. Lantaigh. Cromney. Bridwick. Gaverscoil. Fedburgh. Carlmore. Pitfeldy. Suthburn. Chartmell. Borgoy. Devana. Chaltery. Inskill.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:36 AM
FallenShandeh (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

Thanks, I'll have a play with some of them and see what I can come up with Using a few (or a few re-imagined) will help me with naming all sorts of different locations.

Yesterday I spent a few hours staring at the UK on google maps, and I was hoping that a good night's sleep would percolate some answers, but my brain is still refusing to regurgitate any decent ideas. It'll happen... eventually!

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues