WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Plausible options

Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 AM
Aman (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Plausible options

At the beginning of my story, I want the villain to expose a underground facility that is performing inhumane experiments to the public. The facility is underneath a popular amusement park, (subject to change the venue. The important thing is that it has to be a public place) and I plan to have my villain reveal the facility's existence to the civilians above ground. The villain's reason for this is to cause a riot that will lead to many casualties but I'm not sure whether or not this would be plausible. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to go about this.

Last edited by Aman; 07-05-2016 at 04:33 AM..
Old 07-05-2016, 06:05 AM
Blue (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

Hi I think your story idea sounds good. I would stick with the facility being beneath the amusement park.
As for the revealing of the facility's existence it could be he wants the casualties for his experiments or maybe the whole thing is revealed by an escaped person he'd been holding in the facility. Kids could even reveal the facility's existence by accidentally stumbling up on the entrance.
There are many possibilities just start writing it and the story will no doubt reveal itself the deeper you delve.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:
Aman (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Aman (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I appreciate your feedback. I've rewritten this opening several times, trying to really establish the villain and the kind of threat he poses.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

sorry to say I don't think outing a 'facility that is performing inhumane experiments' Is going to cause a riot. the public may be appalled but a riot, not likely.

how about bombing a church in a poor black barrio of Chicago while a high ranking government official is giving a speech about peace.

DISCLAMER: this is just a story line and not a suggested action.

max
Aman (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,379

Originally Posted by max crash View Post

DISCLAMER: this is just a story line and not a suggested action.

max

Nice save.

How about having a hero foil the bombing and then having the villain ambush the hero where he lives?
Aman (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Aman (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

That's definitely something for me to think about. Thanks for the feedback. But my villain is trying to make a point. His point is that people are as bad as he is. This is why I went with the inciting a riot idea from the facility thing. Then again whether or not this would start a riot is kind of tricky, especially since this will drive many actions later in the story. As far as the hero goes, my idea was that he is nowhere near the action and has to figure out what happened after the fact and figure out the best course of action.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Binx B

A peaceful protest could turn into a riot -- but your "villain" would likely need help to somehow incite violence. It might not take much if emotions were running high.

Otherwise, you can make almost anything seem plausible with a good story and characters and the right tone.

It's your story. Just write something -- and then ask for opinions. There's not really enough detail here to provide meaningful feedback.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues