WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Query for Short Story Collection

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122
Default Query for Short Story Collection

Let me know what you guys think.

Name
Address
Email
Number

To whom it may concern,

She looked pale, covered in her soft cotton robe. Her slippers were soaking wet.
“Lucy, you shouldn’t be out here.”
“I know... I just had to see you...”
She was holding her stomach.
“What happened? Are you okay?”
“I don’t know, Seth. Something horrible happened tonight.”
When she opened her robe, all I could see was the blood.
Blood ran down between her legs, dripping into the snow. ~Lucy and this Guy

THOUGHTS OF THE DEEP is a 16,303 word short story collection that consists of 20 short stories. It is an array of dark and mysterious events people dare not involve themselves in. Whether it is fate or intentional, each story has a variety of emotional twists and turns from beginning to end.

I have been writing for six years now and have published work in various print and online magazines such as The Storyteller, Poetry Salzburg Review, Triggerfish Critical Review, Ascent Aspirations, The Bible Advocate and many more. I have also published several adult short stories. After taking a two year writer’s course to the Institute of Children’s Literature, based in Connecticut, I received a certificate and six college credits. I am currently working on my first children’s picture book with Lighthouse Publishing. Enclosed I provided contact information and look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

Me

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

Dear LMC,

I hate to break it to you, but forget the query, you're going to find it almost impossible to sell your short stories. Here are the reasons:

1) It's too few. Only 16k words is far too few words to get your work published. You need to write more. Atleast get to novel length = 40k words to even think about it. I would recommend at least 60k but anyway.

2) Short stories are usually sold by famous people, or already established authors. That's because people know that their work can sell. So they do sell it. But short stories by an unpublished author is almost an impossible sell and most if not all agents will turn you down. In fact, most agencies even mention it in their website that they do not sell short stories, poetry or screenplays.

But don't be completely disheartened. There are people who sell short stories. There are agents who specialize in them, and there are publishers who only accept them. But more often than not, they only seek novulles, or novellas. Not short stories.

Your best shot at short stories is to sell them individually, to magazines and such. Check out duotrope.com for listings.

Best of luck.

Last edited by urntme; 05-13-2012 at 02:04 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing