Let’s talk about the N-word and other naughties.

brianpatrick
Administration
brianpatrick
Administration

9:29 PM - Jan 21, 2018 #1

<t>I’m writing a short story in which a character uses the N-word. Yeah, nigger. <br/>
<br/>
I’m a fifty year old American white guy. I’m not a racist at all, but this is the way the character speaks. My wife instantly shut down when she read it and said: “if you ever want to publish this you can’t say that; not in today’s climate.”<br/>
<br/>
I think: yeah, but that’s how some people talk. Sure it’s a slur, but the character who says it is just an accurate representation of some humans. <br/>
<br/>
So, is it a no-go these days? I mean, unless you are Cormac McCarthy? Or Stephen King?<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro</t>

Nick Pierce
Administration
Nick Pierce
Administration

12:34 AM - Jan 22, 2018 #2

<r><QUOTE author="brianpatrick;740822"><s>
brianpatrick wrote:</s>I’m writing a short story in which a character uses the N-word. Yeah, nigger. <br/>
<br/>
I’m a fifty year old American white guy. I’m not a racist at all, but this is the way the character speaks. My wife instantly shut down when she read it and said: “if you ever want to publish this you can’t say that; not in today’s climate.”<br/>
<br/>
I think: yeah, but that’s how some people talk. Sure it’s a slur, but the character who says it is just an accurate representation of some humans. <br/>
<br/>
So, is it a no-go these days? I mean, unless you are Cormac McCarthy? Or Stephen King?<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>
If you are black you can use it. If you are white you will be gettin' a whippin' somewhere down the road.<br/>
<br/>
Ask Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, ... you get the idea.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
And if you don't follow your muse and write what you must you ain't a writer, you are a sycophant.<br/>
<br/>
Just sayin'.</r>
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?

brianpatrick
Administration
brianpatrick
Administration

1:16 AM - Jan 22, 2018 #3

<t>Oh yeah, make no mistake, I’m keeping it. <br/>
<br/>
Just looking to start up a conversation about language taboos, the current culture, and maybe getting some insight into what fallout may come.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro</t>

Nick Pierce
Administration
Nick Pierce
Administration

2:40 AM - Jan 22, 2018 #4

<r><QUOTE author="brianpatrick;740841"><s>
brianpatrick wrote:</s>Oh yeah, make no mistake, I’m keeping it. <br/>
<br/>
Just looking to start up a conversation about language taboos, the current culture, and maybe getting some insight into what fallout may come.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro<e>
</e></QUOTE>

That bein' the case what terms does the character use when referring to the other (than his) gender?</r>
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?

Beesauce
Administration
Beesauce
Administration

4:00 AM - Jan 22, 2018 #5

If it fits the character then it should stay. I'd say just like using any swear word, it should be done with certain panache and not overdone.

Me, I'd never even create a racist character unless it was to illustrate a point and it is accurate in our world that white people use this slur just as much as a black person and sure does depend on where you are

Me, if I ever use this word is like Voldemort and even when reading Samuel Clemens, if I were reading outloud, I'd probably skip over it, but I don't think it should be censored as much as it should be minimized like anything else; 'tis a sparse spice this n-
i didnt do it, except...

i dream, you dream, we all do --

flyingtart
Administration
flyingtart
Administration

6:42 AM - Jan 22, 2018 #6

<t>Depends on where you’re trying to get it published. Literary and crime fiction have never worried about profanity, for example.<br/>
<br/>
And as a side note, the day you allow political correctness to be your editor is the day you cease to be a writer and start to be a hack.</t>
Awaiting the return of the Dog's Arse Messiah.

RedLorry
Administration
RedLorry
Administration

9:00 AM - Jan 22, 2018 #7

What else have you read where this word is used? Did the author get any flack for it, or did the readers read it as the voice of the character?

Have you researched it's use in fiction, or spoken to black people to ask their opinion?

I hate the c-word, but I have a character who would have no problem saying it, a lot. I hate writing it, truly.
"I've got a good heart, a cunning mind and a dangerous mouth."

Nick Pierce
Administration
Nick Pierce
Administration

12:08 PM - Jan 22, 2018 #8

[QUOTE=An old face
I hate the c-word, but I have a character who would have no problem saying it, a lot. I hate writing it, truly.[/QUOTE]

Aw, that's only because you ain't British.

Nick Pierce
Administration
Nick Pierce
Administration

12:10 PM - Jan 22, 2018 #9

[QUOTE=An old face

spoken to black people to ask their opinion?

[/QUOTE]

Get this on your iPhone and show us how it goes.

JohnConstantine
Administration
JohnConstantine
Administration

12:20 PM - Jan 22, 2018 #10

Yep. Fuck today's climate.

Any objection to the representation of a truth, ie: that some people say the word nigger, is retarded by definition :big grin:

And it rests on the principle that some truth shouldn't be talked about which makes absolutely no sense.

There's a series on Netflix called Underground. It's about slavery, but they won't use the word nigger. What they will do is produce a poorly scripted, unbelievable trashy drama full of terrible actors which just happens to have slaves in it.

For me what should offend is how badly the content is handled.
I don't want any gay people hanging around me while I'm trying to kill kids.