When did you first get published, and what was it?

ChapStik
Administration
ChapStik
Administration

3:54 AM - Feb 24, 2006 #1

Hey!

I'm interested in what published writers have gone through to get to that special point. How long ago? Do you still get published now? If it was only a one time deal, why? Do you think it was hard?

If you have anything to add, please do!

Just want to get some information on this, thanks!
"Care for some stik mate?"

Christianne_015
Administration
Christianne_015
Administration

4:23 AM - Feb 28, 2006 #2

I think you should ask starrwriter, as he's had three(?) books published. That is, if he's willing to tell you.

But I, myself, haven't had any books published. I can't even get myself to finish a short story most of the time. I'm just lazy, among other things.

Occasionalpoet
Administration
Occasionalpoet
Administration

11:52 AM - Mar 01, 2006 #3

Same here. I'm currently too lazy too to write a book or even finish a great short story.
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”-Nikola Tesla

solecistic
Administration
solecistic
Administration

1:20 PM - Mar 01, 2006 #4

Last edited by solecistic on 2:23 AM - Oct 28, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

MalReynolds
Administration
MalReynolds
Administration

6:06 AM - Mar 04, 2006 #5

First item I was published in was Underground Voices, a web-zine that is based around addiction. I submitted a story about a quilt that eats people, and three weeks later I got a check in the mail for $30 and a congratulations.

Since then, I've had two pieces selected to go into Antithesis Literary Magazine for their Spring issue out of a possible five (they sought me out using my FictionPress account.)

Double edged sword; I just got my very first rejection letter from Asimov's, but due to time constraints, they couldn't provide an editorial critique, just a statistic that says it was most likely rejected due to unoriginiality.

I'm waiting to hear back from The Intergalactic Medicine Show, but I don't think that will pan out either, considering they ask for subject to be in the PG-13 range, and what I submitted was definitley somewhere in the range of an "R" but I don't know what their return policy is, or if I'll even hear back.

But I'm editing and submitting the rejected Asimov's piece to TIMS and seeing if that will do the trick.

Mal

DFischer
Administration
DFischer
Administration

2:49 AM - Mar 09, 2006 #6

MalReynolds wrote:First item I was published in was Underground Voices, a web-zine that is based around addiction. I submitted a story about a quilt that eats people, and three weeks later I got a check in the mail for $30 and a congratulations.

Since then, I've had two pieces selected to go into Antithesis Literary Magazine for their Spring issue out of a possible five (they sought me out using my FictionPress account.)

Double edged sword; I just got my very first rejection letter from Asimov's, but due to time constraints, they couldn't provide an editorial critique, just a statistic that says it was most likely rejected due to unoriginiality.

I'm waiting to hear back from The Intergalactic Medicine Show, but I don't think that will pan out either, considering they ask for subject to be in the PG-13 range, and what I submitted was definitley somewhere in the range of an "R" but I don't know what their return policy is, or if I'll even hear back.

But I'm editing and submitting the rejected Asimov's piece to TIMS and seeing if that will do the trick.

Mal
Is it an enjoying experience or, rather stressful being in the publishing area of writing?
Founder: www.writersbeat.com
Personal site: www.danielfischer.com
Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.

MalReynolds
Administration
MalReynolds
Administration

5:42 AM - Mar 09, 2006 #7

It's quasi-stressful since the magazines that have picked me are pretty much underground; I would have much more faith in my submissions had I been published by something a little more mainstream recentley. But, it is nice to have a readable resume that includes a literary mag and some online 'zines, even if they aren't the norm.

My Resume (Not in Resume format)

April 2005-
BeoWulf The Musical! (Not A Musical)
Midlothian High-School Players
April 2-3
Highest accolade of the competition (Gold Certificate)

November 2005
BeoWulf The Musical! (Not a Musical)
Williamsburg Community Players
November 21-28
Three sold-out shows

January 2006
The Quilt
UnderGroundVoices.com
$30 payment

March 15
Eight Minutes/Reading Between The Lines
Antithesis Literary Journal
No payment

-

Interesting facts:

Was UndergroundVoices featured author for the month of January.
Antithesis sought me out.

I mean, most of that stuff is just padding, but it doesn't hurt to have stuff run in minor magazines to get your foot in the door.

Hope that answered any/all questions =D

Mal

Mike C
Administration
Mike C
Administration

11:02 PM - Mar 22, 2006 #8

First published 15 years ago, short fiction, and no, it wasn't difficult. Fairly regularly since then (averaged almost one a month in 2004), all shorts (I don't 'do' novels). If the story's good enough, it's always easy. If it's not, it's a lot harder.
لا شيء يدوم‎

Kempas
Administration
Kempas
Administration

12:50 AM - Mar 23, 2006 #9

WEll, I've only really been published in University mags, and one poetry anthology which isn't available in all good bookshops. I'm currently writing my first book, which I'm quite positive about. Perhaps I'll start looking at magazine submissions. Always useful for confidence :)
"It is absured to divide people into good and bad, people are either charming or boring" Oscar Wilde

starrwriter
Administration
starrwriter
Administration

4:18 AM - Mar 23, 2006 #10

Christianne_015 wrote:I think you should ask starrwriter, as he's had three(?) books published. That is, if he's willing to tell you.
I'm willing, but I seriously doubt if he (she?) will like what I have to say.
"The earth was made round so we can't see too far down the road and know what is coming." -- Isak Dinesen, Out of Africa