1easywriter
New Author
1easywriter
New Author

5:17 PM - Mar 30, 2013 #21

As this is my first reply and only the second post that I have read, I would just like to say a quick thank you for the reassurance that such an open and honest post brings.
I hope that those site members who have been experiencing difficulties take on board and embrace the good common sense advice that you offer.
Good Post. Thank You.

Rincewind
Administration
Rincewind
Administration

11:43 AM - Mar 31, 2013 #22

1easywriter wrote:As this is my first reply and only the second post that I have read, I would just like to say a quick thank you for the reassurance that such an open and honest post brings.
I hope that those site members who have been experiencing difficulties take on board and embrace the good common sense advice that you offer.
Good Post. Thank You.

Yeah, and if they dont take it on board, we'll smash their faces in! :icon_twisted:

Only joking guys. Dont ban me. Oh FFS! i'll get my coat!

Devon
Administration
Devon
Administration

12:40 PM - Mar 31, 2013 #23

*chomps Rincewind's leg*

*munch, munch, munch*

There. Now you can't run. Mwhahahahahaha!

On a more serious note: Any other suggestions for staff? Any concerns that you can PM us with, or place in-thread here?

Comparatively speaking, the atmosphere here is much better than it was a couple of months ago. A special "Thank you" to all who are helping to keep WB a nice community to be in. :)
Last edited by Devon on 12:43 PM - Mar 31, 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Yep. Here. Now what?

Redlorry
Redlorry

1:10 PM - Mar 31, 2013 #24

I completely agree with Devon about the improved atmosphere. A couple of months ago we weren't (as a forum) in a good place.

It's so much nicer now, I for one feel we have more time to concentrate on the positive things for the forum, magazine, contributing threads and giving critique, and working on our projects.

I'll get you a link to it in two shakes of a lambs tail...
Last edited by Guest on 3:48 PM - Apr 02, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

AnyaKimlun
Administration
AnyaKimlun
Administration

1:44 PM - Mar 31, 2013 #25

I'd like to see a micro/flash fiction contest/bit - something for under 100 words every so often. They are really useful for focusing skills and don't take as much time as a full blown short story. (well depends on the writer ;) ) I can give half an hour/an hour to something short but a short story takes about 3 or 4 hours if I am to edit so others can read it.

Also something to encourage more critiques would be good. I know running contests is hard work so understand no as an answer but the one thing every forum I have been on that writers have asked for and never got (for which there might be a good reason) is a crit contest.

I wondered if we could alternate that and the writing ones - (the winner of the contest can opt to have theirs done). Then people can vote for the best critiques - or something similar to give an idea about what is good.

I've always appreciated it when a writer has given me feedback on their critiques.

iDrew
Administration
iDrew
Administration

3:38 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #26

Well I only loiter around the poetry board, so can only really say what I see is happening there. Meaningful critiquing is practically non-existent. Three or four people are tending to dominate the board, showcasing their work as if it is their blog, whilst offering very little, if anything in return. This really is the fault of a system that allows this to happen.

Firstly the ‘like’ button is a good idea in principle, however in practice it is self destructive in terms of promoting a workshop environment.

Secondly I would prefer to see a system where by a poster has to provide two or three worthwhile critiques before they can post a new piece of work. Replies such as ‘nice work’ or ‘good read’ etc., are not critiques.

I joined this site to improve my critiquing ability. Being able to understand what is happening within a poem, in a technical sense, is as important as understanding what iambic pentameter is, or forced rhymes, or whatever. I don’t think I’ll be around much longer as it is all beginning to seem a bit pointless.

xDrew
ALL NEW the CLUELESS COLLECTIVE’S ALL NEW 21 OUT NOW
(min. system requirement: 1 working brain cell)

JohnConstantine
Administration
JohnConstantine
Administration

4:59 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #27

Problem is I don't think many members really know as much as you, Drew, about poetry, myself included. I don't even really read poetry, so it's not my place to critique. On the occasion I'll leave some garbled response in the poetry section as that's the only writing in general that I have the time/energy to read. There's too many interesting books out there and not enough time. I presume there's just too many people like me here and not enough serious writers. Or perhaps some serious writers without enough time on their hands.

No doubt in my mind that you're in a very small league around here. It's a shame you aren't being stimulated, or gratified, I think you're very talented.
I don't want any gay people hanging around me while I'm trying to kill kids.

Ilseum
Administration
Ilseum
Administration

5:26 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #28

I think John hit the right spot there: as far as I know, most of the members that wrote/read a lot of poetry and critiqued a lot in the poetry section are no longer very active on the boards, or have disappeared altogether. While I enjoy critiquing poetry, I find it hard to get the time on my hands to do so.

While I agree it's no more than fair for a member to provide a couple of meaningful critiques before having their own work critiqued, I'm not sure if a hard system like the one you suggest would be the solution. The way it works now is that the more you critique, the more easily other members will critique your work when you put it up. So it's kind of implicitly the same effect you'd want to achieve by making members post one or two critiques before being able to post again. I see how that implicit system would be difficult in the poetry section though, considering the small amount of members active there.

As far as I'm concerned, this was a good wake-up call to pay more attention to that section of the forum, so thank you, iDrew!
Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker
- GD

AnyaKimlun
Administration
AnyaKimlun
Administration

5:55 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #29

That isn't true I can critique my socks off and still have work go unread. In fact I am more likely to get it read when I am posting and not critiquing.

I confess to have given up (right now not doing so many) because of it.

We do need something to improve it.

Redlorry
Redlorry

6:17 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #30

I agree with John about critiquing poetry. I tend to avoid that area of the forum because it's not my strong point, so apart from saying I liked it or I didn't there's not much more I feel equipped to add.

But in other areas, like Anya, I've spent days reading and critiquing and had nothing in return. I've got more than one piece posted up here that's not had a single response.

We've also had people in the past who don't take critique well, they're only posting to showboat and have got quite aggressive when someone has suggested ways to improve their work. If a newbie or less resilient member is on the receiving end, it tends to put them off, understandably.

We want to get back to how it was a year to 18 months ago. When people knew they would get the support they were looking for if they posted. We've lost a number of talented members lately because of the way things are going around here, and others are staying away more and more because there's not much point coming here just to argue in the conversational threads. :(

Any suggestions for how to improve things are more than welcomed.